Monday, October 13, 2008

The Birds


A couple of weekends ago we had an opportunity to visit a bird of prey rehabilitation center called Sardis Wildlife. Pictured here is a great horned owl named Boo that we got to meet. Sardis is small and quiet, nestled in a woodsy setting, and we were able to get a tour from one of the volunteers who told us about the different birds (eagles, vultures, falcons, ravens, owls and more...) One thing we learned that we found interesting was what's called "imprinting," and it happens to birds that are raised by humans. The birds think that they are a person, and they sort of abandon their bird characteristics in favor of taking on more human-like traits, or they don't fully develop into mature birds because they've been so dependent on humans. We only got a brief explanation so that's really all I can share about it, but I thought it was fascinating, something I never knew a bird would do. Anyways, if you're ever in our area and want to visit Sardis, we'd be happy to take you there. But until then you can visit the birds on their very own website at http://www.sardisraptor.org/. That's it for now, thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

Bri said...

Very interesting. I've heard similar things about humans. If they are not raised in a normal human setting, after a certain age there are some things that they can no longer learn to do correctly. Like speak.

Jeremy and Sarah said...

I miss you! I think its time to put up a new post so we can all see how you are doing. :) ~Sarah